Tuesday, December 22, 2009

What are the common problems faced by parents in upbringing their teenage children??

Probably convincing the children not to make the same mistakes the parents did, such as getting into bad sexual situations or using drugs and alcohol, being irresponsible, etc...





Parents can tell their kids this until they are blue in the face. The truth of the matter is the kids need to learn it firsthand, and the cycle will continue when they have kids. You can't expect to eliminate these problems; guidance is key in providing them with the tools to make good choices.What are the common problems faced by parents in upbringing their teenage children??
The hardest thing is knowing how much rope to let them have without giving them enough to hang themselves. You have to respect your kids, and expect them to respect you. The idea is to teach them little by little, not to wait until they are teens and then expect them to do what you say ';because I said so';. If you build a good open relationship with them from the time they are born it is much easier.What are the common problems faced by parents in upbringing their teenage children??
The hardest part of being a parent to a teenager is being able to say NO.





I remember one time my son wanted to go to a concert, during a school night and with boys I did not know. I told him NO, he kept bugging me for over 2 hours, asking why over and over, whining, saying other kids got to go. It was a two hour marathon. Finally he accepted the answer and went to watch TV. He never brought it up again.





If I had said yes, it would have been over in 5 seconds and I could have gone back to what I was doing. Instead I said no, listened to him for over two hours and in the end I won.





Today all three of my children are well adjusted, respectful, no major disasters and most of all they love and appreciate me and I am proud of all of them.





Be a parent, not a friend and most of all don't take the easy way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment