Thursday, April 29, 2010

Should I buy my teenage son a car and make his payments?

or would they pamper him to the point where he will just expect me to hand him things. What is the right approach when it comes to teaching to drive, driving and your kids?.





I mean I want to help, but not to the point that he is helpless all the time and at the same time I don't want him to get a late start on life because he was bogged down by responsibilities getting in the way of his education.Should I buy my teenage son a car and make his payments?
Don't pay all the payments, that's too much.





What my friend's parents did was make him save up the money, and they would match what he saved. So they split the payment 50/50, he raised a little over 3 grand, and his parents matched the amount, dollar for dollar. So he got a car that was 6 grand.





My dad wouldn't help me get to work, he said I needed a car for that, but then, I needed a job to get a car, and he just told me ';Well, that sucks, now doesn't it'; yea... thats not a good route.





As far as learning to drive, well, I can only say from my experience, and my dad was never there, he just sent me off to driving school, and never gave it a second thought.


But the driver's ed instructors said that the parents should ask what their child learned each week and take them out and reinforce what was learned at the driver's ed school.





some people are saying to buy the car for him and make him pay the insurance. That would end up being more money for him to pay than if he bought the car himself. He being a teenage boy and all.


I'm 20 years old, female, with the honor student discount, and the drivers ed graduation discount, never been in an accident, and my insurances is 2 grand every 6 months. For a male teenager, it would cost more, and also depending on how nice the car is. So keep insurance costs in mind.


For how much I pay in insurance, I could buy a new car every year!Should I buy my teenage son a car and make his payments?
There's nothing wrong with getting him a car. However, there is also nothing wrong with having him get a job and help pay for it and the insurance. Making him pay all of it right now might be a bit much, but I would think expecting him to help out on the bills a bit would be a good middle ground. I know plenty of teens and young adults who help pay for their cars and have had no issues with it conflicting with their education.
Get a dirt cheap car...like one on craigslist.org for under $2000. Once he drives it for a year or two and keeps it well maintained (IE learns from you to handle things like oil changes and inspection), offer to buy him a better one (IE $4-7K used) provided he keeps a job for 2 months during summertime. If he crashes the first car wait 6 months to get him another dirt-cheap car.





The trick, IMVHO, is to get him a car just good enough to teach him to drive but not so fancy he thinks he's getting a ';free ride';.
I think that if he wants a car, he needs to get it. And you don't need to buy a new one with payments. You can buy a nice used car for cheap on www.craigslist.com
I think you could buy the car for him, but make HIM pay the insurance. Help him out but not to the point that he will totally rely on you.








http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>
Yes. then you wont have to drive him round all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment