Thursday, April 29, 2010

Do you charge your teenage kids board? And how much do you charge them? What is included in the board?

I think you should have changed your question to ';adult child'; instead of teenage kid to get the answer you are looking for. Anyways - what we did was made our kids pay for their own car insurance %26amp; gas once they started driving (high school or not...they all had part time jobs), but that was it as long as they were in school/college. If no college after they graduated high school, then they had to get a full-time job and paid for their own expenses which included their car insurance, gas, toiletries (shampoo, deodorant, ';monthly needs';, etc.), and any particular grocery items they wanted that I didn't normally buy (soda preferences, snacks, etc.) and $200/month ';rent'; which helps defray the utility costs and what-not that I'd be saving if they weren't still at home. Gotta grow up at some point, right - letting them stay at home for free isn't doing them any favors %26amp; contributes to the gimme-gimme mentality we see so often today. Time for parents to start acting like parents and push their children to be responsible for themselves once they are adults instead of treating them like children into their 20's and 30's.Do you charge your teenage kids board? And how much do you charge them? What is included in the board?
No. He's my child and only 16. It is my responsibility to care for him, that includes financially.





If he were over 18, no longer in high school, and chose not to go to college, I'd probably charge him a small fee for room and board, but I'd put that money into a savings account for him to use when he gets his own place.Do you charge your teenage kids board? And how much do you charge them? What is included in the board?
my parents did not charge us board as long as we were in school and doing well.


I lived with them for 2 months after I graduated and they charged me $50 a week, and I paid $10 for utilities.


I could eat dinner with them, but they gave me the downstairs fridge to stock my own snacks, soda, and lunch/ breakfast items.


When my brother started flunking, my parents charged him until he pulled his grade back up.
Well, my kids aren't old enough...yet. When they are..it all depends on what they are doing. If they are working towards something (college or internship) then I wouldn't charge them...but they would be responsible for anything extra. If they were just working then it would probably be 20% of their salary. I think that is a realistic amount for them to get used to not spending on unnecessary things. I got married at that age %26amp; was out on my own...but my sister lived at home during college. She didn't have to pay for rent, food, insurance or utilities...but everything else was on her. I think it teaches them a lot about the real world and responsibility...and if more parents did this, then we would have less young adults living out of their means.
my daughter is only 14 but as soon as she starts to earn a wage i will be charging her a board i will be doing everything i do as a parent but i will require a small amount basically just to teach her responsibility you could always open up a savings account and put the money your child gives to you for their future
i am assuming you are meaning under 18. well for one thing under 18 is still a minor and it is the parents job to take care of them. so i would not charge my minor child room and board. when they are 18 then yes because they are known to be adults then and should take on adult responsibilities
no because it would be my fault that they were living with me


i had the baby so when it grows up its still my responsibility to take care of it





unless i was really in financial trouble where it was cough up more money or go to jail, then i might ask if they could tap money just till we all got back on our feet.
They can pay for their own things and maybe help out with the food, but I wouldn't charge them just to live there. Money is a big problem these days they need that money to get their own house car etc, the parent mooching off them is only going to hinder them.
My daughter's 19 and I have never charged for, nor will i ever, for anything. She's my daughter and what ever I have, as long as I have it, i will share with her. She's in college and lives at home in the summer.





I've told her she can live at home as long as she wants.
It depends what they are earning really. If they are working full time then maybe 拢35 a week? They should get their food and use shower etc. If they are at college I wouldn't have money off them but I don't really need to. If they are claiming benefits maybe 拢15 or 拢20 a week.
AGE? under 18 and going to school? nothing. over 18, out of school no college, job. roof, meals, no laundry or cleaning by me, 200 a month. hey, you can't rent a place for that amount. at least not here in cali
nothing until they are 18. my parents said as long as i was in school i could live there for free. if i quit school i would have to get a job and pay. i didn't have to worry about that though i moved out at 18 anyway
My parents have made me pay rent since i first started earning money. I pay 拢25 per week, it goes towards the food i eat, the electricity and water i use.
I don't see how parents can charge their own child rent! That's just crazy to me! No matter how old..they are still your child. Only way I'd charge rent is if he/she was married and had their family living with me.
I dont have a teenage kid but as long as there under 18. Theres no reason to charge them rent to live with you.








Even if they were 18 or older...i still wouldnt
our rule of the house is: if you do not attend school of any kind you will pay rent when living in our house.
I wouldn't.


Besides, what happens if they can't afford what you're asking for?


Are you gonna kick them out?
Um if they are over 18(they should have a job) then I would say 200 a month. Make them get a job so they can pay....
If their still in Highschool then there's no reason to be making them pay rent.

No comments:

Post a Comment